My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Sunday, February 06, 2005

Stuff on the web today

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Vice President Dick Cheney Sunday categorically ruled out a run for the White House in 2008, even if asked by the Republican president who recruited him back into government.

Ed here: Gee, and I hoped it would be the Dickster and Rummy running together.

------------------
From a blog I'm still trying to find again--a salient comment on the central principle of Ms. Rand's writing:

"Today would have been Ayn Rand's 100th birthday. In celebration, I'm going to bake a cake and then not share it with anybody."

--------------------------
For once I feel sorry for Paul McCartney:

All right, all right, I admit it. I've never--except for a few songs here and ther--liked the Beatles. Too precious in all respects. Cream and Stones were my Brit Invasion favorites.

McCartney the egomaniac I always found especially galling. But I have to say that this bit from the British tabloid press is about as crazy and cruel as you could imagine:

"Mills McCartney has worked to help children disabled in war since losing a leg in a traffic accident in 1993. McCartney said he was particularly shocked by suggestions that his wife "losing a leg was perhaps the best thing that ever happened to Heather as it fed her desire for self publicity."

"Imagine losing a leg, and dealing with it as bravely as Heather has done and having to read that on top of it," he wrote.

Wow. And people think the press is mean over here.

--------------------
Bushie Jr. is now recommending Tom Wolfe's racy new beer- and sex-soaked novel, "I am Charlotte Simmons" to friends...according to Drudge. What's Jerry Falwell going to say?
--------------------

The Edgars were announced tonight.

Most pleasing to me was the Dominic Stansberry nomination for The Confession published by Charles Ardai's Hard Case crime line. Charles had the wisdom to publish it and Dominic had the talent to write it. I guess you know who I'm rooting for.

3 Comments:

Blogger mybillcrider said...

Charles is nominated too, for LITTLE GIRL LOST. The Edger press release says it's a Hard Case Crime novel, but we all know that Five Star published it first in hardcover. Anyway, I'm happy to see it on the list. Once again, you and I were passed over.

February 6, 2005 at 5:40 PM  
Blogger Mystery Dawg said...

Quite an achievement for the first year of this young publishing company. Just think, Stansberry had this novel collecting dust in a desk draw until Charles asked him if he had anything else he could publish since Dominec's first two novels were already picked up for paperback publishing. A just reward for the both of them.

February 6, 2005 at 6:49 PM  
Blogger Cap'n Bob said...

It's your blog and I tune in daily to read the normally high quality comments herein, but I just gotta disagree about the Beatles. Take away the screaming girls (damn them for ruining the Ed Sullivan Show appearances of the Beatles) and some of the cutesy flack surrounding their initial success and you have four hugely talented singers/songwriters/musicians who literally changed the world. I like the Stones and Cream, too, but I wonder if there would have been a British invasion if not for the Fab Four. I guess we'll have to conclude that "to each his own" applies here.

Stay healthy and thanks for the great blog.

February 7, 2005 at 4:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home