My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, February 08, 2005

used book royalties

Ed here:
t
I've noiced that the subject of earning royalties on used books has taken on new purpose now that Amazon has begun mining serious coin out of "pre-read" (hey, if it's good enough for used car dealers, it's good enough for me) books.

I'm dimly aware that an attempt was made to do this in the UK. Maybe some of you folks can tell me if it's worked out over there.

There was a pre-Amazon time when I thought the idea was sort of dumb. Hell, I buy a lot of books used and always have.Saves me a lot of money. But now, in a way that would have been impossible before Amazon, we are competing against our own pre-read books for cash.

I'm neither a leader nor a joiner of groups. I won't sign petitions, I won't march, I won't speak up publicly unless a a situation has begun to inflict physical harm on people.

But as someone who himself orders used books from Mr. Bezos, I'd like to know what other writers think of the royalties idea. How would they be calculated? Who would collect them? Is it even worth the trouble?

Be interesting to see what you folks think. --EG

3 Comments:

Blogger mybillcrider said...

Maybe Amazon.com could track those used-book sales, but eBay and their half.com arm? No way they'd get involved. And of course the owners of those little hole-in-the wall stores where I bought most of my used books back in the day would just laugh.

February 9, 2005 at 3:23 PM  
Blogger Roberto Iza Valdés said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

October 31, 2005 at 11:01 AM  
Blogger Roberto Iza Valdés said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

September 14, 2007 at 2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home